Monday, September 24, 2007

Velociraptor: The New Peacock?

So apparently scientists are almost completely sure that velociraptor had feathers. (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hfrz4P9iuz2PMVx546JTCapQvsNA)



This raises a lot of interesting questions like, how scary were these things anyways? I mean, sure, an ostrich may scare some, but how much more would it instill terror if it had scales?


Wikipedia has an awesome artist's impression of Deinonychus, which I've posted to the above. I Like the whole puffin look it has going on!

In all seriousness though, this whole "dinosaur-bird" thing is really starting to grab my interest. Exactly how many dinosaurs had feathers that we have traditionally assumed didn't? Apparently a relative of the T-Rex had feathers as well... was the mighty Tyrant Lizard more akin to a thanksgiving turkey?

Well, I'm off to find some scholarship to read about this whole thing!

No comments: